Sunday, October 28, 2007

Psych studies!

I took three years of psych classes while studying print technology at Western Washington University in Bellingham, Washington, and I learned more about psych then I did about printing! The ever popular tech classes were always full and hard to get into for an underclassman like myself, so I studied a lot of psychology figuring that it would help me with my intended goal of going into advertising when I graduated. I never did graduate, but now I wish to finish my degree in psychology with the University of Phoenix Online. I know, I know, you've heard this all before when I took a quarter of Graphic Arts, a quarter of Electronics, and a quarter of IT studies. I'm a little more dedicated this time, and I think I have the right idea about this course of studies. Gotta have that piece of paper, ya know! I mostly studied Analytical Psychology, the school of thought inovated by Dr. Carl Gustav Jung, you know, the guy who inspired The Police album; Synchronicity! Jung was the only Western Psychiatrist who believed that there might actually exist such a thing as the human soul, and believed it to be revealed by dreams and fantasies. Here's a poem I wrote to my Dr. Skinner Operant Conditioning psych professor that reveals what I thought of psych studies at the time. I might need to re-evaluate my pre-conceived notions if I am to succeed with this line of study.

"The Man Likes to Shock Little White Mice."

The Man likes to shock little white mice.
I tell him that it's not very nice.
Instead I like to talk to mine
and they learn everything just fine.

"You're crazy!" He says of me,
too lazy to learn, can't you see?
"You'll never learn anything from me."
But my mice know better then He.

In knowledge, my mice are wealthy.
Compared to his, far more healthy.
They teach me what I need to know.
With their knowledge, my soul can grow.

I know his knowledge has lied,
'cause all his white mice have died!
Mine are all still healthy and living.
To me, of their knowledge, they keep on giving.

I've learned life's choosing between "pain and pleasure,"
And the attainment of wisdom is like a treasure.
All the while his mice are still in pain,
it is only he who is going to go insane!

What will he have learned? What will he gain?
What will WE have learned? What'll humanity gain...?
...from his plugging little white mice into an electric train!
Can we learn anything from mice about human behavior?

Perhaps! But instead we ought to learn more about
Christ Jesus our Saviour.

By, Maurice S. Keating, Jr.
Winter quarter 1985-1986

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home